Monday, February 7, 2011

Baby Steps...In The Baby Room

As you've heard, our weather here in Texas has been cold, wet, freezing and chilly. Did I mention cold? Oh and icy and snowy. Once more it's just not that great for trying to spray paint outside. I really don't want my crib freeze painted.

Here is what I have been doing though... just small little things.

Hobby Lobby was once again my very best friend when I found these knobs for half off, making them $2.50 each. The closet door had one wooden knob before, so anything would have been an improvement, but I love the vintage look they add to some rather boring doors.

I also finished off this mirror with some of my left-over paint from Caromal Colours. The mirror was a dark stained frame, and I decided to once more go light and bright!

You can see that I used the paint to do more of a textured finish. (I simply smooshed and bounced my brush instead of stroking.) I used some of the tea stained glaze that I purchased from them as well, wiped it off with a damp rag and let it dry. Of course I finished with a light sanding. Easy peasy.


Remember this list that I posted when I revealed my baby room wall?
1. Redo vintage stool
2. Paint stripes on walls
3. Redo collage wall
4. Paint other mirror
5. Paint crib
6. Paint small hutch
7. Make new crib bedding
8. Add a few pillows to the full size bed
9. Paint dresser to go in closet
10. Organize closet
11. Make a mobile

You may notice there are a few more items "struck" off the list (as well as one added). Take a closer look and you'll see that Paint dresser to go in closet is "stricken" (is that a word?) off the list!!

I also got to mark through Organize closet much to my delight! (More on this task in a later post.)


Last, but not least... Many of you read my baby bedding rant here and I got lots of suggestions and ideas. (thank you by the way!)
A dear friend of mine sent me a link that was pure gold!
I fell in love with the tattered charm of this baby bedding. I didn't fall in love with the price though, so I will be trying to make it myself in a few weeks
If you hear wailing and screaming, then you know that I've started and it's going just.as.I.planned.... I don't like sewing.

Oh, if you want to see where this amazing bedding came from and some more of their stuff, then click here.

Time marches on and I am determined to finish this up before I hit the 7 month mark. That gives me almost exactly one month.... Yow!
Yup, that's the real deal.
Stay in touch for more details of the dresser and the closet.
Photobucket

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Its going to be a beautiful room! Do you know what you are having?
I love the bedding, it doesn't look too hard to do though, fairly simple, just lots and lots of gathering. (that in it self is a hassle!) Good luck, and if you feel like screaming, well, go ahead. Even though I love sewing, there are times I want to scream at a project.
BTW, the dresser turned out really cute!

Sarah said...

Everything is so stinkin cute! I looove the walls and that awesome stool!

stellaandgray.blogspot.com

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

I love all of your touches so far!!

COTTAG3 said...

Oooh, that bedding is awesome. I can see why you want to attempt it. I wonder if it comes in adult bed size too. Love those knobs! Good luck in finishing your tasks before your deadline.

Stephenie from Decorating Addiction said...

The bedding is absolutely gorgeous! I'm heading over there next. I am not that good with the sewing machine, so I wouldn't attempt it! Your nursery looks great!!! You make me feel like such a slacker . . . we have only 6 weeks and the baby is nameless and the nursery is unfinished! EEEK!

michelle said...

This is going to be the most adorable baby room! I love the dresser, the mirror and that bedding is so beautiful! I can't wait to see everything put together!!

You look beautiful! :)

Urban Farmgirl said...

Everything looks *incredible*!

Love the stripes, and I am cRazY about that bedding! I can't wait to see yours!

Get sewing, don't keep us in suspense! ;o)

Mary

Cheryl said...

i love all the attention to detail you have shared for this room so far.
The dresser looks great. I love teh simple accessorizing you did on top.
The bedding you have chosen to replicate looks lovely. I think you will do a fine job.
You look fabulous for being seven months pregnant.
Hopefully it will get warmer so you can finish off the painted pieces before the lil one arrives.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

All your touches in the baby's room are beautiful, as are you! Have a wonderful week!

Mary

Allison said...

I've been having the same problem with finding bedding I like! I LOVE this linen bedding from the link you posted! But you're right-so pricy!
Your nursery is looking so calm and serene! Thanks for sharing!! Maybe if I can get acquainted with sewing before this summer I could take on a project like that too! Due in August!

the vintage bricoleur said...

I don't know if you have fabric in mind but I couldn't help but think that it looks like some curtain panels from IKEA that are like $14 for two. It is quite a bit of yardage and has a nice linen look. I have used it myself to cover a porch swing etc. Everything looks lovely. I wouldn't expect anything less of you. Terry

Unknown said...

I have nursery envy, I almost wish that I was having a new baby and had a room to turn into a nursery!