Friday, January 14, 2011

Letter Making Tutorial

Almost everything I do starts with inspiration from somewhere. Sometimes my inspiration comes from a picture, sometimes it comes from the dark recesses of my brain when I've laid in bed waaaaay too long.

This particular inspiration comes from Restoration Hardware. I was thumbing (ok I was glued) through the pages of their baby catalog when these letters jumped out at me.
If you look them up on their site then you can see more of the mesh detail on them.

I LOVE these letters and the best part was, I had some letters at home just waiting for me to do something with.

I got the cardboard letters from Hobby Lobby for a baby shower about a year ago. They had been covered in scrapbook paper, but I knew I wanted something different for them.

First I simply traced them with a marker onto a piece of burlap, then cut it out. Make sure you cut the burlap a little on the small side since you don't want the material to hang over the edges.

I just used Elmers glue to stick the burlap to the letters, then let them dry for a while.

I then took a small (trim size) paint roller and rolled the paint onto the top and sides of the letters, filling in the small spots with a brush. The roller made it much faster and gave it a more even paint job than a brush.
After the paint dried then I distressed the edges that showed very gently and literally ran them into the baby room to set them on the shelf. Yes, I was that excited.

So there you go, super easy and so cute, even if I do say so myself!
Happy letter making!
Photobucket

22 comments:

Allison said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! Yours look better than the Restoration Hardware letters! I can't wait to try it!

Destiny said...

What a GREAT idea! I was "glued" to that catalog last week - they have the cutest ideas for kids rooms - my next purchase is going to be thier scalloped white chalkboard for my daughter : )

simple~needs said...

i love the letters!!!!
i am also glued to the catalog. i want to do the vintage wood clipboards thats in the boys room.

A Vintage Vine said...

Great idea! Thanks for the tutorial!

Annelie said...

Didn't even know RH had a baby catalogue.

Like your burlap letters.

Annelie

Unknown said...

I adore the letters! Texture is always a win-win with me! It looks fabulous!

michelle said...

Those are so adorable!! I love playing with those letters. The room is looking just adorable Jillian!

Anonymous said...

I have some letters in my basement as we speak! Yea, me! Can I ask what color of paint you used for covering and also distressing the edges? I'm not a "paint crafty" kinda girl. YOU obviously are!
Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to get started!

Anonymous said...

I love your letters, they are super cute! I've got this linked to my letters and numbers post too today, well done!

Anonymous said...

These look great! I love burlap!

Jocelyn said...

Love this idea!!!! I am so addicted to anything burlap and now I have to run out and purchase some letters!!! Just Beautiful!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Laurel Stephens said...

Featured your great burlap letters on Friday Finds today!

Debbie @DewdropGables said...

Very cute! Love this idea, might have to copy it!
Saw you featured at The North End Loft
Debbie :)

annshepdav said...

So cute! What color did u use?

Adele said...

Hi hun. Just wanted to let you know that I featured this on my blog today. I would love it if you could check it out :)

http://mammymade.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/mint-stuff-ive-seen-31.html

- Adele @ Mammy Made

emeylia said...

Thanks... i love your great idea

nottooshabbymama said...

Adore this!! Can you please share the paint color you used??
Thanks much!!
~Lisa

Monalisadutta said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing.

leave application for school student for going outstation

Harsh Patel said...

this is amazing. check some awesome leave application samples here-
application of leave for going outstation

Rohit lohia said...

This is very amazing post keep up the good work. Make sure you checkout leave application for exam

checkout leave application

Rohit lohia said...

Rebel wilson has started her weight loss journey in 2017 and lost around 20 pounds of weight. If you want to know more about rebel wilson weight loss then check out our website.

luckys said...

sewingmachineportal