Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Easy Rustic "Subway" Art

I'm not sure that I would necessarily classify this as Subway Art, but you get the idea.
And for those of you who want to make your own art but need a shortcut...
...here's your answer
the white ones are ones that I "made" out of other letters that I was not using
 since there wasn't enough of each letter that I needed.

I made the mistake of getting letters that were NOT precut.
It took me hours to cut them out but I was determined to do this project for pennies.
(they are vinyl letters that you would put on your mailbox, but make sure you buy letters that are cut out and not blocks)
Next up lay them out on your prepared board(s).
I used some that I had laying around and just stained them.
Figure out how they will fit.
Once I figured out my layout then I took a level and drew lines to make everything nice and even.
I then stuck my letters on, using my lines as guides.

sorry about the blurry photo

I taped off the sides because I wanted them to remain stained and not painted.



I then took my paintbrush and started blotting the paint on.
I tried not to brush at all so that I wouldn't get any paint under the edges of my letters.



This was the part that Jack called "magic".
I carefully peeled each letter off...



It didn't turn out perfect.
That's okay.
The reminder that it brings is worth each crooked line and letter.
Photobucket

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great and you can't tell anything is crooked or off. Plus...part of the beauty of DIY is that it ain't perfect! Really like what it says as well. Such a great reminder.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Jillian!
Oh my sweet goodness! I love it!
That is absolutely perfect to me. I like the message and everything about the sign.
I especially like that it was done for pennies.

~Pat

Lydia said...

This is awesome! In fact, even I, who am not at all crafty, think I might be able to pull it off. And I love that it is a "cheap" idea.

Going to be pinning it!

NanaDiana said...

Very, very cool! It looks perfect to me! Great job- xo Diana

Lori said...

It didn't turn out perfect, because that is the way Christ made us all. Different and perfect at the same time. Love it.

Unknown said...

I love your sign and the saying on it! Sorry it was so much work cutting out the letters, but the final results sure look nice!

~Ellie @ beauty4ashes-ellie.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Very Nice and I love that saying. Just pinned it ;)

charlottekady said...

love the idea, the look, the sharing and the comfort of the verse!

Unknown said...

I think it looks great and like a TON O WORK! Great job & thanks for sharing it. Three Mango Seeds

must love junk said...

LOVE your blog and your style! I'm your newest follower and would love you to visit my new blog and say hello :)
Susan
must love junk

DebbieG said...

Oh - that sign just makes my heart sing. I have to re-create this somehow. Just found your sight and am a new follower!!! Love your sight - I am a "Virginian" also!!

Blessing to a sister in Christ!

Debbie

Laurie Jo said...

Love this project!!! May have to try it myself! I've started following your blog. I just started this blogging thing and have really enjoyed it. If you have time check it out - weddedblissorsomethinglikethat.blogspot.com.

Amy Kinser said...

It looks perfect to me! What a wonderful message...