Thursday, February 16, 2012

Furniture Redo's {Before & After}

I've done a few furniture redo's the last couple of weeks.
The first one was a desk I found on CL and I bought it to use myself.
Turns out it didn't fit the spot I was hoping to use it in.
So back to CL where it was sold again.


It was a beautiful desk with a few veneer problems.
Some veneer can be fixed but this one had the bubble, the crack and the chip going on.

please forgive these photos. they were taken for CL

I used this method to take the veneer off and was beyond thrilled with how it worked!!
It took me about an hour to remove all the veneer from the top and back of this desk.
Now that's cool.

I can't even begin to tell you how happy I was to see this wormy, worn top under the veneer.
I used some wood conditioner to bring it back to life and then waxed it.
I added some new knobs from Hobby Lobby and painted the bottom in my favorite color Milk Paint from Lowes.
So sad to see it go.


The photo below was one I found online since I was a forgetful blogger and didn't take a before photo.
Typical white with butcher block top.
Blah.
Did I mention dirty and stained too?


This was a piece that I experimented on.
Big time.
I finally ended up using this ladies wonderful method to "weather" the wood.
*Tip* If you try doing this, make sure EVERY bit of finish is sanded off!


The legs were given a coat of my own made up gray paint, then splotched and spattered and dry brushed with white.
Then glazed.


The final look was a surprise even to me since I let it take its own direction.

It is now for sale at the Market.


And lastly...
I found this chair in someones trash pile.


It got sanded, painted gray then I used Caromal Colours Paint to add texture.


I then dry brushed Alabaster white paint over it and glazed with black and brown glaze.


The seat is white burlap with a sharpie marker design on it:-)


It is headed off to Market On The Square (Granbury Texas) to be sold as well.

I love redoing furniture!
I normally start out with a vision, but then kinda just let the piece take its own direction.
Sometimes it takes a wrong turn and I start over:-)

Don't forget about my giveaway!
Photobucket

12 comments:

STARDUST said...

They turned out great! You're so creative!
Love, Olga

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I've recently turned to SHARPIE for some designing work myself. I love that versatile little tool!

these pieces are all lovely. I don't get to Granbury much, in fact-- hubby hates stopping anywhere- so we just zip right through there on our way to Stephenville!

I'm sure they'll sell quickly--

take care!

Pat

Cassie Bustamante said...

they are all adorable, but i really love the table the most! it's adorable!

Helen said...

Great furniture pieces. We would love to see pictures of 'Market on the Square' - good advertising... (*especially your area*)

Urban Farmgirl said...

They look fabulous...I especially love the desk! ;o)

Mary

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I love all your pieces and the finishes that you used. They all look great.

hugs
Sissie

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Such wonderful projects! I am a new follower!

Passionate for White said...

No wonder you love redoing furniture....you're a natural at it!!

Christine said...

Hi! Found you via Pinterest. :)
I hope you're answering comments. You mentioned taking veneer off "here" but never said where. I've got a H4H Empire piece with 1/2 the veneer shredded off. Gorgeous, wormy wood underneath. I'm hoping you'll share what you did?
Thanks,
Christine

TheVirginiaHouse said...

Christine,
The link is up there but kinda hard to see.
Here it is again:
http://www.turnstylevogue.com/2011/09/removing-veneer/

It worked great for me!!!
Jillian

Christine said...

Ahh! Pictures are always good. :) The more the better. I am feeling confident. I've disassembled the rickety drawers and rebuilt/reglued them, which came out well. Now... the dry rot and the top.
Just being curious, where in VA area you? I'm over between DC and Annapolis.
And thanks for getting back to me!

Unknown said...

Wah!
Nice pictures really. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Somehow I came to know it'll affordable if someone will buy used furniture from hotel motel liquidators.