Wednesday, September 22, 2010

We Can Do It Cheaper - Coffee Filter Wreath Tutorial

The Virginia House


This is one We Can Do It Cheaper project that is so easy and cheap you almost have to try it!

You only need three simple things to make this one:
1. Wreath
2. Coffee Filters
3. Glue Gun

I got the wreath and coffee filters from $Tree. So I really pulled out the big bucks for this one.


Put your wreath on something (like this handy piece of paper) so that you don't get hot glue all over your table. Or lap. Or pool table.

Stare at the wreath for a few minutes while your glue gun heats up. Keep pushing the glue gun button over and over until it has no choice but to spit out some lukewarm glue.
Open your pack of 5,000 coffee filters and think to yourself "there is NO WAY I will use half of these!". Uh, yes you will, but you only spent a dollar on them so you're ok with this in the end.
Try various ways to get the right look till you settle on this one... somewhat flatten the coffee filter together then pinch the bottom and give it a little twist. Pretend it's someone you don't like. Have fun doing this 4,789 times.
The rest is self explanatory (no offense), as was the first part. Sit back and enjoy your wreath. Or spend a weekend in 95 degree weather trying to sell it to people that LOVE it but don't buy it. I'm not bitter, it looks good in my bedroom.
Add something to the middle, like a starfish, a lock of your child's hair or something of the like...

You can also dip the edges of the filters into dye or tea/coffee to give it a different look. (this tip came from my MUCH older, much wiser sister)

If you hate it, well ya only spent $2!

1. Only link your post URL, not your blogs address!
2. Be sure to take that button at the top with you so that everyone can know where you're linking up!
3. Please only link crafts, DIY projects and the like. I don't want to delete your link!


Photobucket

Show and Tell Green
Fine Craft Guild

19 comments:

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*~*I LOVE the wreath!!! I cant believe it didnt sell..I think its so creative and unique..pretty too!!~*~* Rachel

karab said...

wow! now that's creative! and so cute!! :)
I may have to try that!!

michelle said...

Thank you for posting this!!!!!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

That is so funny. I do the same thing with the stupid glue gun. How hard can I squeeze it to get the not yet hot glue out? I think it looks great! Up close can you tell its filters? Doesn't at all from the pics.

Stephanie - My Frugal Lifestyle said...

Cool wreath! I might have to make me one. Thanks for hosting :)

Lora said...

What a good idea. I may have to try it! I talked to you at antq alley ... i mentioned that i had a shop (empty right now) on etsy too. Sorry you didn't sell it. I heard a lot of vendors say that it was slower than normal this year. Your stuff was very pretty! I'm going to follow your blog... stop by mine if you'd like.

Lora said...

hey... i just realized from reading a previous blog that my friend (see my antq alley blog http://charmednblum.blogspot.com/2010/09/antique-alley-love.html

bought something from you that she snuck back and bought for me. I love it! I'm going to hang it in my bedroom and hang necklaces from it.

Robin Johnson said...

Oh. My! I. Love. It. Amazing job I am totally going to make my own. It's moved to the top of the to-do-list with a A.S.A.P next to it.

Joanna Jenkins said...

I am blown away! Never in a million years would I have expected the wreath to look like that. WOW. Great job. Thanks for the "how-to" tips.
Happy weekend, jj

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I think the wreath is beautiful and would look beautiful at a wedding or other event as a centerpiece with a huge hurricane candle, or in a church hanging on pew - just stunning! I enjoyed my visit today!

Tracey said...

I've had this email unopened in my inbox for a few days (which is why I love subscribing by email, I don't miss a thing!) and I was already planning to go to the $ store today to get the supplies even though I had no clue how many coffee filters it would take.
Thanks for the photos and the tutorial!

The Gress Family said...

Love it! How big of a wreath did you use?

malia said...

Love this project + you are very funny too. Hope you'll consider joining us at A Crafty Soiree linky party,Thursdays at www.yesterdayontuesday.com

Sandy Ang said...

Just fantastic !

Dearest Home said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love this wreath in white!! I might have to make another one for the spring! :)

Maegen said...

I love this wreath so much that I couldn't wait another day to go and buy the materials to make it. I can't wait to hang it on my bedroom door of my first apartment, it looks amazing! My mother and boyfriend thought I was crazy before they saw the final product, now they love it! Thank you so much :)

Pamela said...

Just found ya when I was googling filter wreaths and I must say you r a hoot! I am your newest follower and would love for ya to stop by sometime!:)

Bonita Rose said...

I love it... I am for sure gonna try this.. we are moving into a beach house in FL next week... this will be perfect! xo

Ange said...

I discovered this gorgeous wreath of yours via pinterest. I am so glad to have found you and look forward to following your blog. You are a hoot!!
Ange x