Wednesday, August 18, 2010

We Can Do It Cheaper - Yup, Another Farmhouse Table.

The Virginia House


7 years ago my husband and I received a dining room table and 4 chairs for a wedding gift. It was one of those ones with a natural top and white legs. You know what I'm talking about. We have used it and used and then used it some more. About 3 years ago I painted the whole thing black and loved it and used it some more.
Wellll, I was ready for a new look when we moved to this house. I wanted to go for a more casual look and perhaps make it a little more practical for everyday use. (Have you tried to keep a black table clean?!)

I neglected to take a picture when it was still inside since I was so eager to start my project. (note to self, think about starting your next garage project in less than 100 degree weather.)

I gave a half hearted attempt at sanding it with our orbital sander and quickly gave up. The 3 coats of poly that I had put on there previously were standing firm.

I love Citristrip! It works great, smells great and doesn't feel like you might be killing something just by opening the lid since it's much more natural.

After putting it on and waiting about 30 minutes, I started on the fun part. In the spots where I had got the Citristrip on heavy enough, the paint and poly came off like melted butter. Heaven.
The legs... they took some work. A few hours of work. It was so worth it though!

After sweating all over the garage floor and finally getting everything sanded down, then I had my husband work his magic with the saw. I couldn't be happier with how the scoring turned out. It looks like a true plank table! (see more on how he scores it here)

I stained it with one coat of regular stain, then two coats of stain and poly. After those all dried I did one more coat of plain polyurethane that was a little more matte than shine. I really didn't want the table to be a mirror to all spots and such.

The distressing of the apron and legs took me some time to get it the way I wanted. Don't ask me what I did cause I did everything. I tried this and that and the other. Not totally great with it in the end, but... it'll do!

See that cute little light above the table? I love Ikea. Love my guy for hanging that for me too. New (old mismatched) chairs will soon grace the table and the "old" (new) ones will move on to their new life.. somewhere.

The sign was uummmm, painted by me. I'm kinda embarrassed about it so shhhhh. It's crooked and funky, but there she hangs in all her glory!

So my total for this little painful fulfilling redo??

$12 for the Citristrip. Yup, ya heard right. I was lucky enough to have everything else I needed on hand. A little stain, a little LOT of sandpaper, some polyurethane, a smattering of paint and a bucket of sweat. (did I mention sweat already? My bad)

Show me what you've been sweating over. I am waiting with eager eyes!
1. Only link your post URL, not your blogs address!
2. Be sure to take that button at the top with you so that everyone can know where you're linking up!
3. Please only link crafts, DIY projects and the like. I don't want to delete your link!

Photobucket

toolsareforwomentoo
Furniture Feature Fridays

17 comments:

Nori said...

that turned out BEAUTIFUL! i would love to know how your hubby worked his magic with his saw... great detail. i absolutely LOVE that ikea light.

mle said...

Your table looks fantastic! The whole room is coming together beautifully - can't wait to see it when you're all done! : )
& Thanks for hosting this party!!

michelle said...

That turned out great!!! I love what your hubby did with the saw! The sign is so cute! I think you did a great job! Can't wait to see the chairs with your "new" table!!

karab said...

looks super cute!!!!

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

What a transformation. I love the white leg / wood top combo. Amazing job!

:)
Sarah

Katie @ BurbTales said...

It looks fabulous! I actually have a very similar project that I need one more evening to finish, and then I'll come back tomorrow and link it up. It was my first time with Citristrip as well and I totally know what you mean about all the sandpaper. Yeesh! Great job! :)

The Wool Acorn said...

Wow!!! It looks super fabulous! Impressive job... I have to admit I'm about to do a round pedestal table in black. It belonged to my mother-in-law and it's currently a yellow-ish color that's just not my gig. You've reminded me to take "before" pictures! (love your fisherman light, too)

Between You and Me said...

fabulous job!!!

Amanda Morey said...

I used to have one of those tables. I wish I would have thought to do what you did with yours. Soooo cute. Love the top.
Lana

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Scoring that table was GENIUS! It looks completely like an authentic plank top! I think you did a fine job on the white part, too.

Very cool!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Amazing! I am so impressed. Never in a million years would I have the patience to do that. Your table is beautiful.
jj

Annastacia said...

I love how your table turned out! I loved it so much I felt inspired to refinish some of the furniture I've been wanting to change, so I went and got the citristrip gel and got to work. I started on a bar stool that was finished and then I painted it brown, it didn't really work. Only about 50% of the paint came off and it didn't hardly even touch the finish. Any advice? Do you think that I could just sand the rest of it? What exactly am I supposed to do with the mineral spirits? Any advice would be great thanks so much!

TheVirginiaHouse said...

Annastacia,
You have to make sure you realy get it on there thick! Then you may have to put some more on in places. After I stripped the table then I waited about 2 days and sanded the whole thing to get the rest of the paint and finish off. Mineral Spirits will stop the stripper from continuing to eat at the paint and finish. I didn't use any since I was taking it down to bare wood and then sanding it all, but it is a good idea to in most cases. Hope this helps and you have better luck!!
Jillian

B said...

I never would have though to give a table a plank look with a saw! That is incredibly genius! I just found your blog today and will be following you! :o)

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

Love, love, love that table. I can sympathise with the amount of work it must have taken though you're right...it was so worth it.
Kristine
xxx

teaorwine said...

Citristrip is the absolute best choice for these projects; I use it always. To remove the varnish or paint, I use those 3M scrubbers for pots and pans which work great. And to finish my pieces, I use tung oil which releases the natural patina of the wood.

teaorwine said...

Citristrip is the absolute best choice for these projects; I use it always. To remove the varnish or paint, I use those 3M scrubbers for pots and pans which work great. And to finish my pieces, I use tung oil which releases the natural patina of the wood.