Wednesday, July 21, 2010

We Can Do It Cheaper - Shelve It Up!

The Virginia House



Well the sickness has departed (though Internet info says it can be contagious up to 2 weeks. Say-Whuu?!). Let us mark that grossness off our "to-do" list for the next few years! I just thought I had laundry before! Try having a 3 year old throwing up about 20 times in one night. I may never catch up with that mountain.

Sooo, it's already time for We Can Do It Cheaper again! I have been working like a mad dog the last two weeks since my oldest sister sprung a quick visit on us and had never seen my house before.

One of the projects I managed to complete is my shelf idea that popped into my head around 3am one morning. I had previously fallen in love with this one from PB....

But, since it is $350 and I don't have that saved up in my penny jar yet... weeell, I had to go a different route.

To all of you out there that also love this PB shelf, it really would be easy to make, I just chose to do my own version since I also wanted hooks.
I decided to go with a double stack, faux crown molding since I am not real thrilled about cutting real crown molding angles and such.
I already had the large board on hand, so I just purchased a piece of baseboard and another of window casing, then a plain piece of narrow trim to top it off.
The hooks are from Hobby Lobby of course, and were half off, making them $1.50 each! They were black, so I slapped some white paint on them, sanded them down then rubbed stain over them.
I still have a certain fear respect of the nail gun, so my husband graciously nailed it all together for me. (he's peering over my shoulder making sure he gets credit, love him for that)
I wanted a very rustic, rough look so I pieced some of the trim together (ok, so I messed up! But I love it!)and didn't sand down the rough spots prior to painting.
(The "1,2,3" pictures are about to go in My Etsy Store for anyone who is interested!)
I darkened this next picture so you can see better detail and color.I put on a coat of gray first then white and lightly sanded it to get the perfect (for me!)look.

My total cost? Approximately $17! Now that, I do have in my penny jar. Well, I did, I spent it though. You get the idea. Go Link Up Already!

Sorry I didn't get to comment on each of your links last week!
Remember that someone from this week will be featured next week!
1. Only link your post, not your blogs address!
2. Be sure to take that button at the top with you so that everyone can know where you're linking up!
3. Please only link crafts, DIY projects and the like. I don't want to delete your link!

Photobucket



Favorite%2BThings%2BFridaybig%2Bbutton.jpg




Beyond The Picket Fence
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special
Furniture Feature Fridays
Visit thecsiproject.com

25 comments:

Natalie @ Blossoming Visions said...

I'm like you with just little trinkets in the penny jar...no pottery barn for me either : ( It's ok, I like yours better!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I love your shelf. Classy, cute and shabby all at the same time!

Kerri - Driftwood Interiors said...

Love it! The original is great, but your budget-friendly version is even better. Fantastic job! K xx

Leigh Ishee said...

LOVE IT!! You did a wondeful job. I love those hooks from Hobby Lobby.

L Simonson said...

LOVE that shelf! Thanks for hosting another party :)

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Gorgeous! You did a fabulous job, I love it!!
XO
Kristin

The Misty Journey said...

I also drooled over the PB shelf...but my penny jar is empty, all extra funds are going to pay down the house, no new additions to the decor for now. You did a GREAT JOB on the shelf. So inspiring!

Krista@RustikChic said...

I love your shelf! The hooks add so much. You did an amazing job! I'm a new follower and linking up, thanks for hosting:)

Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

I love your shelf and the hooks were a great choice...very cute!

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

I LOVE your shelf it looks way better too! Thanks for hosting every week girl hope you are feeling better!

~Morgan

Check out Meet Virginia's Wonderfully Wordy Vinyl Giveaway HERE!!

Meet Virginia!

Sarah said...

I love that shelf!!

Here's a link to my new craft blog:
http://craftingandcreativity.blogspot.com

Sarah

FrouFrouBritches said...

I have been eyeing that same shelf from PB! Your's is gorgeous and for a MUCH better price! Love it!

Stacey said...

I've also got that pottery barn shelf picture saved in my files....love it! And love yours too! Great job! Stacey

Anonymous said...

Wow... You did a great job, and for $17 and some change! You can't beat that. It looks beautiful! I LOVE your display, too!
~ Jo :)

P.S. I came over via Funky Junks party.

Lolly Jane said...

found ya on fingerprint on the fridge.

SO cute, you did a great job. i esp like the part where the hubs made sure he got credit. gotta love our men!

really good lookin shelf though, good work! :)

KimMalk said...

Your shelf looks great. I like how you painted and distressed the hooks, too.

Amanda said...

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the new Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) My hope is to share many of the fabulous projects I see everyday with the vast CG audience. I hope you will not only stop by and subscribe to CG, but will tell your friends about the new category! Hope you see some traffic from it!

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/pb-inspired-shelf/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, that's gorgeous! I just clicked over from Craft Gossip. Yay for cheaper! =)

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

I LOVE this! It's absolutely gorgeous! Wonderful job!! :)

Anonymous said...

I love yours more than the original! So much rustic charm!

Rhiannon said...

it turned out puuuuurrrdddyy!!! looks great and i love the hooks, Ive been searching for hooks for my own project and just cant find any, oh how i wish we had hobby lobby!

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Had to laugh because my husband does the same thing... gotta mention him in almost every post or he "reminds" me of how he contributed. :)

I also am in LOVE with that shelf from Pottery Barn and you've inspired me to try one on my own. Probably with hooks, too. Thanks for that idea!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Very creative of you! You did a great job, I love those hooks. Hobby lobby is my new favorite store.

Camie at "Home is where they love you" said...

I.Heart.This.Shelf. It would be beautiful over a bed!

Just visiting from CSI.

Its So Very Cheri said...

I love your chippy rustic shelf. It looks fabulous.

I am visiting from the CSI project. I am numbers 86,87,88, and 89.

Cheri from www.itssoverycheri.com and www.thediyclub.com